Saturday, December 31, 2016

A Groupon Feast At Cafe Ponte

The Gulf Boulevard group of four grabbed our Groupons and headed to Cafe Ponte for a fabulous foodie feast last night. With a $95 Groupon coupon each couple enjoyed a six course tasting that would have cost $195 without the coupon.


And, yes we did add the chef's wine pairing. While tacking an extra $70 to our final bill, the pairing was worth the extra cost since the wines did what they were designed to do and that was to compliment the foods.

To wash away the road dust from our trip from Indian Shores we gave considerable thought to the very interesting cocktail menu.


My libation of choice was the Shanghai Sidecar. a tasty concoction with hints of Chinese five spice. My bride had the refreshing Bliss and since food was now beginning to arrive I lost track of other cocktails requested by our table.

What follows is a photographic food journey that is in the order depicted on the menu except for the amuse bouche at the start and a palate cleanser midway through the feast.


This roasted cauliflower soup was an unexpected high point of the tasting - rich and creamy.
Speaking strictly for myself, this huge wad of shaved Brussels sprouts was the only disappointment of the evening. For one thing, it was indeed a wad that left me with a dry mouth feel.
Two of my food favorites - lamb and pasta. A filling dish similar to a savory pappardelle lamb ragu I do at home. 
Before moving on to the next course a bright and refreshing palate cleanser was delivered to the table.
While this dish was perfectly prepared and presented it just reminded me why a strip steak is not my favorite cut of beef - too lean and too chewy for my taste. But that is just me. I did get a taste of a fellow diner's choice of salmon and it was heavenly. Jim made a wise choice with the salmon (photo unavailable).

I think for the fab four of fine food that was our final splurge of 2016. There were some hits and misses with this tasting but none of us waddled out with empty tummies. We are dining in tonight with the promise of a magnificent home cooked rib roast at Chez Parker with friends Jim and Denise. I quiver in anticipation.

With all food and drink the tab for two at Cafe Ponte came to just under $300 even with the Groupon coupon.

Cafe Ponte Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: