Quote of the Day

Monday, August 8, 2016

Growin' My Own In A Pot

"I don't care what anybody says: Nothing is better than a tomato you grow. There's something about it that's different than a tomato you can buy. It's a great thing." ~  Tom Vilsack

A few weeks ago I read an article that suggested rather than buying a packet of seeds or seedlings at the local garden store, the home gardener could buy fresh tomatoes at the local food mart, slice one and plop the slices on top of a pot of dirt. The article went on to say that the seeds in the tomato slices would eventually germinate and ... voila! ... you would have a plethora of seedlings for just the cost of one tomato.

I filed that little tidbit of knowledge away for possible use in the future. Well, the future arrived a week or so ago. I found one of my juicy sweet Campari tomatoes with a spot of something icky that rendered it useless for eating. Rather than toss it in the trash, I cut it open, saw seeds and decided to plop the slices in a pot of dirt.


This morning, to my great surprise and in a state of wonderment, I discovered this:


I wasn't sure this idea would work and I certainly didn't expect to see seedlings this quickly. I am amazed and the next time I have a spare pot of dirt and see heirloom tomatoes for sale, I will be doin' some slicin' and plantin'.

Once these seedlings get a little bigger, I will thin them out and wait impatiently for the results. If I actually get a crop, I will post results. If you try this, post a comment and let us know how you made out.
I don't care what anybody says: Nothing is better than a tomato you grow. There's something about it that's different than a tomato you can buy. It's a great thing. Tom Vilsack
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/tomato.html
I don't care what anybody says: Nothing is better than a tomato you grow. There's something about it that's different than a tomato you can buy. It's a great thing. Tom Vilsack
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/tomato.html
I don't care what anybody says: Nothing is better than a tomato you grow. There's something about it that's different than a tomato you can buy. It's a great thing. Tom Vilsack
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/tomato.html

No comments:

Post a Comment