Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Ahoy There Captain Bill

After a full day of gallivanting about in Pinellas County, I wasn't much in the mood for cooking dinner last night. So what are starving beach babies to do? Well, it wasn't going to be me in the kitchen so I suggested that we hit somebody else's kitchen. "How about Captain Bill's Beach Kitchen?" I queried.

My bride and I had just recently heard about Captain Bill's place on Treasure Island and now seemed a good time to pay the captain a visit. We wandered in around five-ish and were immediately greeted and seated. Paula was our charming and delightful server who presented menus and took our drink orders. Captain Bill serves beer and wine, and they have a full liquor bar.

To begin our dining adventure I had ... I say had ... to have a dozen Char-grilled Oysters. Those delectable gifts from the sea were presented screamingly hot. Paula reminded me about screaming hot. I trusted her and did not grab a shell to prove her wrong.


Those oysters were as good if not better than the char-grilled beauties I had at Felix's Oyster Bar in New Orleans a couple of years ago.

After the oysters, my bride and I chose our entrees. The Belle of Gulf Boulevard, an accomplished seafood aficionado, decided on the Grilled Grouper Dinner with two sides.


Said she, "That was about the best grouper I can remember." This fish dish was described as juicy, flavorful and flaky without being cooked to death.

One of my favorite crab dishes is bairdi crab, a species often marketed under the name "snow crab." Captain Bill has a 1.5 pound Char-grilled Bairdi Crab Dinner that must have been added to the menu just in case I wandered by.


The crab meat was succulent and packed with flavor. A few of the tips were a bit overdone, but overall this was a very pleasing bairdi presentation.

As we were finishing our meal we noticed what appeared to be live music coming from another section of the restaurant. We settled our bill with Paula - all food and drink a very reasonable $80.63 plus a well deserved 20% gratuity.

Rather than head for the door, we found the source of the music and an empty table near the bandstand. We plopped our happy selves down and enjoyed an hour or so of the Tuesday night open mike. There were some really talented musicians and if we didn't have to drive back to our stately pleasure dome by the sea we would have made a night of it at Captain Bill's Beach Kitchen.






Captain Bill's Beach Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment