Sunday, April 5, 2015

JD's Family Owned Gem At Indian Rocks

We have been beach bums ... well I'm the bum while my bride is the bumette ... for a little over four months now and today was our first visit to JD's Restaurant and Lounge at 125 Gulf Boulevard at Indian Rocks. The Belle and I have driven past dozens of times and we really have no plausible excuse for not stopping in to enjoy this absolutely delightful family owned eating, drinking, and partying palace of pleasure.

Thinking that we might be hard pressed to get in a little after noon on an Easter weekend, we were thrilled to luck out with a parking spot right in front. The outdoor patio area was pretty full, but the hostess found us a table on the inside. We were presented with menus by the jewel of JD's, the effervescent Julie.

JD's has a full bar so we decided to take advantage and ordered a Bloody Mary for my bride and a Rum Runner for me. The food menu is not particularly cutting edge, but the choices were many; oysters on the half shell, crab, crab and more crab, burgers, steaks, pasta and more. And then, and then ... I saw Liver and Onions.

Let me just say this about that. When I was but a tad of a lad my mother made me eat that crap at least once a week. It was cooked to death and chewed like shoe leather. I hated it! Some years later I saw a TV program that featured calves liver cooked and served almost raw. I had to try that and I loved it.

I asked Julie if the kitchen could just barely sear the liver, she said yes, and they did. That liver and onion dish was delicious served with a side of garlicky pasta. You may eschew beef liver, but that was a mighty fine dish.


My bride chose the Ground Sirloin with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. When asked if she was enjoying this platter of goodness, she said, "It's fabulous!"


JD's is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they have live entertainment with a piano bar and dance floor. I can definitely envision JD's being our beach home away from our home on the beach.

Did I mention that their prices are way more than just reasonable? Our bill for food and drink came to a measly $36.85. Julie was very deserving of a 20% gratuity and then some.

J D's Restaurant & Lounge on Urbanspoon

We came across a couple of new friends at the front door:

Through the eye of the Octopus
Squeeze JD's nose for luck ... or something.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I would LOVE that plate of liver and onions.

    ReplyDelete