Quote of the Day

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Tasty Eats Just Down The Street

Actually, the tasty eats I am referring to are just down the boulevard from our piglet palace. We have been to Salt Rock Grill, 19325 Gulf Blvd at Indian Shores, several times in the past and since we have yet to do any serious grocery shopping we have dined at Salt Rock twice this past week. Let me just gush that both visits have been superb ... both food and service have been stellar.

Last night the Belle of the Boulevard and I began our dining adventure with a couple of serious adult beverages: a classic mojito for me and a divine Angel's Envy Manhattan. Angel's Envy is arguably one of the best Kentucky bourbons this side of heaven. Angel's Envy is finished in Port wine barrels and is so smooth and delicious it is almost a sin to mix it with anything.

Next on my agenda was a return to the oyster bar, so to speak. I had a half dozen Raspberry Point oysters a few nights ago and they were perfectly shucked, juicy, briny, and delicious. I had to do that again, so I requested a full dozen of these tasty delights from the sea, and again they were excellent. I swoon at the memory.



 




To accompany our main dinner choices Morgen, our charming server for the evening, recommended a bottle of Immortal Zin, an old vine wine from Lodi that wraps the palate "in a velvety layered mix of sweet red cherry, strawberry, cocoa and juicy red fruit followed by light toast and smooth, chiseled tannins, leading to a lengthy, almost breathless finish." In other words, that was a damn fine wine.


After a swirl or two and a sip of this grand Zin we decided to proceed with our entrees.






My bride rarely sees a meatloaf that she can refuse and the Salt Rock Mile High Meatloaf just tingled every one of her taste buds. This loaf was laced with roasted red pepper and mushroom, then topped with garlic mashed potatoes, a rich demi glace, and crispy onion straws. This truly was a delicious mountain of meat.

On a previous visit I enjoyed a juicy and delicious 1 1/4 pound bone-in rib eye. On this dining adventure I could not resist the 1 pound bone-in Filet Mignon. This is a rather pricey menu item, but it was worth every penny. It was prepared a perfect medium rare and the meat simply melted in my mouth. This was an excellent steak and there was no way I could resist picking up the bone and doing some serious cave man gnawing.


We little piglets were too stuffed to do much more than waddle home after that fantastic meal. I did notice that a big slice of Rum Banana Bread Pudding had somehow found its way home with us. Later that evening I heard squeals of delight coming from the kitchen.

Another pleasant surprise of the evening came when we received our bill: $148 for all of that food and drink. Back in our old home across the bay I would have expected a bill of $200 or more. Of course, we added a 20% gratuity for Morgen.

Salt Rock Grill on Urbanspoon


3 comments:

  1. OMG...how have I never tried the meatloaf???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even reheated the next day this mighty meat wad was delicious. The Belle ate half in the restaurant and we split the remaining half the next day for lunch.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the move, JR. Salt Rock was Le Pompano of my old serving days. Happy you are in "good eats" this holiday. My hand in brace, hen and peck typing for a long while. Dinner looks sublime.

    ReplyDelete