Quote of the Day

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Another 49th Street Gem

I continue to be amazed and delighted with the dining options along 49th Street in Pinellas Park. Just the other day my bride and I stumbled upon another 49th Street jewel, Tasty Phở, as we were leaving the MD Oriental Market. Both establishments are situated at the corner of 49th and Park Boulevard. We had perishables from the store that needed an ice box, so we didn't stop but I vowed to return.

The Belle of the Boulevard and I stopped in for lunch today at this charming Vietnamese restaurant. We were immediately greeted at the door, seated, and presented with menus. Even with a large lunch time crowd, service was prompt and efficient thanks to the lovely Serena.

The main menu at Tasty Phở features much more than the signature bowl of Vietnamese goodness, but phở is what I wanted, so phở is what the phở I ordered (I swore I wouldn't resort to a phở-pun, but I couldn't help myself). My bowl of Phở Tái – Sliced Rare Beef Noodle was a rich broth with al dente noodles and heavenly tender sliced beef.


The diner is presented with a side of bean sprouts, jalapeño slices, lime, basil, and mint to garnish as desired. A small ramekin of chili paste is also available for those who dare.

My lovely dining partner is usually a little hesitant to try foods of unknown provenance, but today she went all-in with the Bún Thịt Nướng – Grilled Pork Vermicelli.


The savory pork with veggies is piled on top of perfectly prepared rice vermicelli. Serena said this was one of her favorite dishes that she always orders with a deep fried egg role. The Belle said if that was good enough for Serena, then bring it on, and it was a have-again dish for my bride.

Tasty Phở has a limited selection of beer, but no wine. Both of us requested a bottle of Heinekin to go with our food choices. I was a little disappointed not seeing a Tiger or 33 on the menu, and that was the only disappointment to the Tasty Phở experience.

Our total bill for food and two beers came to a pleasant $25.36. We tacked on a 20% plus gratuity for Serena.

Tasty Pho on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you tried this place out.I read a lot of your reviews on UrbanSpoon and I saw you reviewed this place, which I happen to work at :) If you're adventurous, perhaps you can come back and try Bun Bo Hue, Bun Mam or something else. And Serena is definitely an awesome server.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tea, for your comment and suggestions for our next visit. We will take your advisement to heart.

      Delete