Thursday, October 23, 2014

Decadent Delights In The Corner Kitchen

Never in my wildest gastronomic dreams would I have thought of Asheville, North Carolina as a culinary destination. Well, let me tell you a thing or three, that mountain city set me to being right in the head during our visit last week, and one of the best dining venues in this "Land of the Sky" is the Corner Kitchen in the historic Biltmore Village.

The Corner Kitchen is housed in one of those beautifully restored 1890s Victorian homes built for staff members working at the Biltmore Estate back in the day. Stepping across the threshold is like walking into the family home and being greeted by a warm and friendly young lady who immediately guides you to an awaiting table.

Moments later Mackenzie, our lovely server for the evening, appeared with menus and a desire to take our drink orders: a couple of glasses of Prosecco, s'il vous plaƮt. We also requested a bottle of Westrey Williamette Valley Pinot Noir with red current, red-raspberry, white pepper and white chocolate character to accompany our entree selections.

Our glasses of Prosecco were presented along with a savory bite of food to amuse the mouth and invigorate the palette, chicken with a hint of the Southwest on a tortilla chip.


My bride, the Belle of Ballast Point, chose the soup of the day to start her gastronomic journey. This was a creamy bowl of broccoli soup with a Parmesan cheese accent.


I am an oyster aficionado, so I was drawn to the Corn Fried Oysters with arugula, tomatoes, and a mustard drizzle. Crispy, crunchy on the outside and creamy in the center, this was a beautiful prelude to my entree.


And, my entree would be the Lobster Claws with Andouille Sausage in a Creamy Fettucini with Tomato Fondue and Fried Basil. There were so many elements to this dish that I simply adore, even now my taste buds are throbbing with desire.


Oops! It would appear that my mind jumped the tracks for a moment there, but it should be mentioned that there is something sensuous about food ... especially decadently good food.

Speaking of decadent and good, let's consider my bride's choice for an entree. Her Sweet Mustard Glazed Three Meat Meatloaf with Collards, Cheddar Grits, and Three Sauces was not only a work of art, but a dish that is probably illegal in many states that simply don't allow that much gastronomic goodness.


The Belle of Ballast Point and I shared our last dish of the evening; a bread pudding with a custard base and a ball of caramel drizzled ice cream. I am not a dessert person, so while the Belle enjoyed the pudding I just drifted off in a food induced coma.



All food and adult beverages came to a very pleasant $150.87, and we had no problem tacking on an additional 20% for Mackenzie.

Corner Kitchen on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the vicarious thrill of your gustatory journey. It has been a real pleasure to read your posts, J.R. Your delicious descriptives of the sumptuous delights make me want to jump in the convertible and head North right now. I appreciate the heads up on the restaurants where service was less than stellar and where the food is of the ordinary variety. What a lovely trip. All the best to BoBP and you on the rest of your travels. Happy Eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you and yours Tina.

      Thank you so much for your comments.

      Delete
  2. "And, my entree would be the Lobster Claws with Andouille Sausage in a Creamy Fettucini with Tomato Fondue and Fried Basil. There were so many elements to this dish that I simply adore, even now my taste buds are throbbing with desire."

    Damn you, Jon. Now you've gone too far! Take pity on a poor old codger raised on Chicken Fried Steak, Borracho Beans with chorrizo on the side and jalapenos at the ready. If I'm lying, I'm dying. You do, indeed, live The Good Life. My best to the Belle, and to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear friend Bill,

    If the only way to hear from you is torturing you with Lobster Claws with Andouille Sausage, then so be it. Actually, the Chicken Fried Steak, Borracho Beans with chorrizo on the side and jalapenos at the ready sounds pretty darn good too.

    It is always a pleasure to hear from you. High on my bucket list is the hope that one day we will get together in person.

    Best of everything to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete