Sunday, October 19, 2014

Aw, Shucks

Before departing Tampa for our trip up country, I did some Googlin' to find some outstanding oyster venues in Charleston. One that was recommended was A.W. Shucks at 35 South Market Street. We wandered in to a mostly empty restaurant around 7:30 Friday evening and were promptly shown to a booth.

Our server soon appeared with menus and with a rather glum expression she took our drink orders, a Palmetto pint for me and a Miller Lite for my bride.

Since Shucks promotes themselves as an oyster bar I knew I had to get a dozen raw on the half shell.


These James River oysters were shucked pretty well, but they had very little flavor. I couldn't decide if they had been washed off (a real no-no in my opinion) or if they were just bland. They also had not been cut loose from the bottom shell, an annoying practice I discovered was common while at other oyster bars in Charleston.

While I slurped the oysters, my bride nibbled on her chicken tenders. I didn't include a photo because if you've seen one tender, you've pretty much seen them all.

I was still trying to get into a Charleston oyster frame of mind, so after the dozen raw I decided to try a bucket of the steamed Local Clusters.




This cluster bucket was filled with u-shuckum oysters. They were pretty good dipped in the little tub of perfectly clarified butter. Oh yeah, that's a little chicken tender there in the background.

To round out her meal, the Belle of Ballast Point requested the bread pudding. She said it was good, I just stayed with a beer for my dessert.


Food and beverages came to $80.06. We did add 20% for our server who, as I recall, never cracked a smile during our entire visit.

I'm kinda thinking that Shucks is more for the tourist crowd. We weren't very impressed.

A. W. Shucks on Urbanspoon

Aw Shucks on Foodio54

2 comments:

  1. Well shucks, that doesn't sound like a stellar evening. Hoping you and the BoBP have much better meals ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina, the good ones are coming up. We had three in Asheville and one in Atlanta.

      Delete