Quote of the Day

Sunday, August 24, 2014

We Dallied In The Alley

We drove up to DeLand the other day to explore a couple of that town's gastronomic treasures. Unfortunately for us we only planned for one day up from Tampa and one day back. I say unfortunately because there are too many DeLand dining spots to cover in just one day or even two.

My bride and I did dinner at the Cress Restaurant and lunch the next day at Dally in the Alley. You may peruse our review of Cress by clicking HERE, but right now let's dally for a bit. Dally in the Alley is an urban bistro located at 110 Artisan Alley in DeLand's historic district. They feature locally sourced, seasonal ingredients on their lunch and dinner menus.

The Belle of Ballast Point and I had breakfast earlier at our hotel, but we decided a light lunch would be just perfect for our drive back to the gastronomic armpit of the world. Yes, Tampa, I'm talking to you.

Upon entering Dally we passed the day's menu board that displayed just a few of the tasty items available on this visit.


We were promptly seated and presented with menus and our beverage orders taken: a couple Cotton Mouth drafts, please Caroline. Cotton Mouth is similar to a Belgian pale ale, and paired well with my bride's choice of Deviled Eggs and Fried Cauliflower, and my pork belly sandwich.


The deviled eggs, presented in a small cast iron skillet, with an out-of-the-ordinary creamy, nutmeg base were a welcome change from the more traditional presentation. The fried cauliflower, one of my bride's new favorites, was enhanced with the addition of two dipping sauces; the slightly sweet tomato and the creamy aioli.

My pork belly sandwich was the Dally's take on the Vietnamese bánh mì with oven-roasted seasoned pork belly, spreadable pork liver pâté, fresh cucumber slices, cilantro, pickled carrots, jalapeños, and radishes. I find it pert near impossible to pass up anything with pork belly, and this sandwich was a winner.


Had time permitted, we would have dallied again at dinner time. On this visit, all food and adult beverages came to $48.99 with an additional 20% for our server Caroline.

Dally in the Alley Bistro on Urbanspoon

Dally in the Alley on Foodio54

My bride and I were truly impressed with this charming town, a quaint village with friendly people, and some really great food venues. On this visit we barely scratched the surface.

Here is my sense of the peace and serenity we found in DeLand:

Statue on Indiana Ave. next to the courthouse. Photo and computer effects by JLR.

No comments:

Post a Comment