Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Voice Of The Lobster

'Twas the voice of the lobster I heard calling to me. The voice commanded, "Get thee hence to the haven of lobsters." Therefore, it came to pass that yesterday my bride and I saddled up our trusty steed and wended our way to near Oldsmar to enjoy the gifts from the sea offered by Lobster Haven, 12807 West Hillsborough, just a mile or two south of Maine.

We entered this quaint looking establishment in a nondescript strip mall through the "lobster" door and were immediately greeted by Holly who catered to our every whim during our late lunch dining adventure. The other door was the "oyster" door, but both doors get you to the same place.

I asked Holly about the oysters. On the menu were Blue Points and Holly said they are freshly shucked to order. Well, all right then, I'll have a dozen of these delights on the half shell.


These mollusks were fairly well shucked and had that delicious, salty taste of the sea. This was a welcome change from the tasteless, "out-of-season" Gulf oysters served at so many local establishments. The oysters were served with the usual cocktail sauce and loads of Saltines. As I mentioned to Holly, good oysters require nothing to muck up or mask their flavor. She seemed to agree.

My bride, as I have mentioned on numerous occasions, is not an aficionado of most seafood, so she picked through the menu and requested the Crab Cake Sandwich.



The crab cake is pan fried and served with the Haven's special crab cake sauce. This cake was crispy on the outside, moist and flavorful on the inside, with a lot of crab, and a honey-mustard sauce that was an excellent accompaniment. The potato salad was "fabulous," with a tangy base for the red potatoes and purple onions. The Belle was exceedingly pleased with her choice.

Holly presented my bride with a bib, not for her crab cake, but to protect her from the over-spray from my upcoming lobster orgy. I eschewed the bib. It is my belief that a little food slobbed on one's clothing does a successful meal make. It's a guy thing.

I, on the other hand, could not resist the Shanty Bake Bucket with a 1 1/2 pound whole Maine lobster joined by a boatload of clams and mussels, potatoes, and a steamed cob of corn.



This was a classic case of "my eyes were bigger than my stomach." That bucket, along with the oysters and a couple bottles of Abita Amber had me wishing for a bigger stomach, but it was all so good.

The lobster was steamed to perfection, and I was able to break it down piece by piece, so that I could enjoy all of its goodness, including that heavenly green tomalley and lobster fats.

Gracious goodness was that ever heaven for the buds of taste...and other body parts! (Studies have shown that zinc in lobster has been linked to a healthy male libido. Plus, its concentration of essential fatty acids may increase sensitivity in your sex organs.)

Editor's note: Based upon those studies, I would suggest that when in public, you might want to eat lobster at your own risk. It's just a thought.


All food and adult beverages came to $95.16 and we added a 20% gratuity for Holly. To me, Lobster Haven is more akin to lobster heaven. This was a spectacular dining experience!

Lobster Haven on Urbanspoon

Lobster Haven

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you enjoyed your meal & I look forward to seeing you & your bride again. Thank you for coming in. ~~ Holly

    ReplyDelete