Thursday, January 9, 2014

Eggs, Like Beer, Not Just For Breakfast Any Longer

One of the great joys in my life, besides the Belle of Ballast Point, is food...most all food, except German. I can handle a few Deutsch dishes, but it isn't one of my favorites, which has probably caused my German ancestors to roll over in their graves. Italian is a biggie for me though. I think there might have been a Luigi rumpy-pumpen in der Holzstoß, und er seine pumphosen auf dem boden hinterlassen in the distant past.

Anyhoosen, this brings me to my point which is my desire to get in touch with my Italian heritage by way of food. I love eating it and I have been inspired to cook authentic Italian dishes by Cooking Channel host, David Rocco. From David's Dolce Vita and Amalfi Getaway programs I have discovered that much of what we Americans think of as real Italian...isn't.

What I have learned from watching David's programs is that really great Italian food doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. As a for instance, last night I prepared a recipe that aired recently, the super simple and tasty Eggs in Tomato Sauce. You may click on the link to pull up David's version of this dish.

His recipe looked easy enough, but down deep inside, I am a lazy cook. I should add that I am a lazy cook who loves pasta, so with that thought in mind I felt uncontrollably compelled to muck around with David's recipe. What I came up with is, what I call:

Eggs in Italian Gravy over Pasta

Instead of making my sauce from scratch, I decided to use a prepared marinara. What I chose was a 26 ounce bottle of DelGrosso Sunday Marinara from the local Publix. I don't usually recommend any particular brand of anything, but this was the best marinara from a jar that I have ever had.

You will want two or three eggs per person, four ounces of thinly sliced mozzarella, 8 ounces of pasta (angel hair, linguini, your choice), and a small bunch of torn fresh basil leaves.

Liberally season a pot of water with salt and bring to the boil. Cook the pasta al dente, drain and set aside.

Pour the sauce in a 12 inch skillet and heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the eggs, one at a time, to different spots on the sauce. Place mozzarella slices between the eggs, cover and simmer until whites are done. The yokes must remain runny for the best flavor and presentation.

Plate the pasta and gently scoop the eggs with sauce on each plate, sprinkle with the basil, then serve with a crusty Italian bread.

Cook's note: I sliced the cheese very thinly and it just melted down in the sauce. I think next time I will use thicker slices, maybe 1/4 inch, so that the cheese doesn't disappear.

Breaking the yokes allows the eggs to add a delicious golden sauce to this dish.

Buon appetito, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment