Quote of the Day

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Cocktail Time In Fuddville

File:Bugs-ending.jpgI have no clue as to Bugs Bunny's drinking proclivities, but I'd like to imagine that he might like to enjoy a little drinky-poo after a long day of outsmarting Mr. Fudd.

And, what could possibly be the cocktail of choice? Why, the Carrot Cilantro Margarita, of course.

The Belle of Ballast Point and I enjoyed one of these intriguing beverages at the Boucherie in New Orleans a few weeks ago.


 

At first sip, this Margarita confused the taste buds just a tad, because this wasn't the typical Margarita, and wasn't what the buds of taste and the brain were expecting. Just the same, this was a very innovative and refreshing adult beverage. Boucherie made theirs with Cazadores Blanco Tequila, carrot juice, Cointreau, Moscato d'asti, muddled cilantro and lime.

I decided to give this Margarita a go after returning to the paradise that is SOG City (south of Gandy in Tampa).

Due to availability and to keep the costs down just a bit I made a few adjustments, but what I came up with is a real close approximation of the carrot Margarita served by Boucherie.

First, a couple of notes on the ingredients.

I used a Ballantore Gran Spumante sparkling wine. This is a slightly sweet wine reminiscent of the Moscato that I couldn't find at the neighborhood ABC.

I used Bols Triple Sec instead of Cointreau because of price and since I have no use for it other than in this cocktail. As for the tequila, Jose Cuervo Traditional Reposado. The carrot juice I found at Publix (where shopping is an adventure), but I had to ask.

Carrot Cilantro Margarita

1/2             ounce fresh lime juice
1                tablespoon cilantro -- finely chopped
1                ounce tequila
1                ounce carrot juice
1/2             ounce Triple Sec
                  Semi-sweet sparkling wine to top off each glass

Muddle lime juice and cilantro in the bottom of a high-ball glass.

Fill the glass with ice and remaining ingredients. Stir and garnish with a lime slice.

Santé, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. As a card-carrying member of the Booge-Wah-Zee, I appreciate the French lesson on proper toasts. Those things are very handy to know and useful in the right crowd.

    My favorite toast has stood me well over the years and is now yours to enjoy when Spanish is the-order-of-the-day: Salud, Pesetas y Amor--y el tiempo para gozarlo! ["Health, Wealth and Love--and the time to enjoy it!"]

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias a mi amigo. Siempre es un placer escuchar de usted.

    My Spanish is still muy shaky. I hope I didn't say, "I could whisper sweet nothings to a fishcake." Forgive me if I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're forgiven . . . . .and fishcakes the world over will love you.

      Delete