Quote of the Day

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

You Want Italian? I Got Your Italian!

While braving the shopping aisles at Publix the other day, I spied a couple of really nicely marbled rib-eye steaks in the meat department. I had to have them, and they needed to come home with me. The three of us lived happily ever after until last night - I cooked them and my bride and I ate them, and we are glad. Those steaks were so good!

"How good," you ask? I'll leave it to you to decide.

I based my recipe on several Italian dishes I have enjoyed in the past. One was Italian Sunday Gravy, a traditional dish of various meats braised in a marinara gravy (or sauce, if you prefer) for hours on end. Another favorite of mine was a steak pizzaiola that I had years ago at Maria's, a no longer around Italian restaurant on Westshore (now a CDB's).

Since I have carrots growing in the garden out back, I thought I would add some of those à la Bolognese style.

So, here is last nights dinner:
                     
Steak with Pasta and Italian Gravy

Recipe By      : JLR
Serving Size  : 4   
Categories     : Main Dish, Italian
Total time       : 00:45

  4            tablespoons  olive oil
  2            rib-eye steaks -- 6 to 8 ounces each
                salt and pepper -- liberally coating steaks
  2            medium  onions -- cut in half then thinly sliced
  2            medium  carrots -- peeled and thinly sliced
  4            cloves  garlic -- minced
  1            teaspoon  dried oregano
  3/4         cup  dry red wine
  24          ounces  marinara sauce -- bottled
  1            cup  beef broth
  16          ounces  linguine
  3            ounces  Parmesan cheese -- grated

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large frying pan over high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper.

Cook the steaks until they are well caramelized but still rare in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a plate and set aside to rest.

Reduce heat and add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the same pan. Saute the onions and carrots until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.

Add the garlic and oregano, and saute for 1 minute.

Add the wine and simmer for 1 minute.

Add the marinara sauce and broth.

Cover and simmer over medium-low heat to allow the flavors to blend, about 10 minutes.

Season the gravy to taste with salt and pepper if needed.

Meanwhile, trim off any fat from the steaks, then slice the steaks into 2" by 1/4" strips and add to the gravy along with any steak juices. Stir to mix.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the linguine and cook according to package directions. Drain the linguine reserving a cup of the pasta water should the gravy be too thick.

Plate the linguine and top with steak and gravy. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and serve.

Chef's notes: You can adjust the doneness of the steaks to your liking by adding the strips sooner or later to the gravy.

For the marinara sauce I used Barilla All Natural. That's not necessarily an endorsement. I like this stuff, but use what you want.

Bon appétit, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment