Quote of the Day

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cincinnati Chili With A Twist

Nothing seems to warm the body and soul on a damp and chilly Florida winter day like chili, so last night I whipped some up for my bride and me. As I took stock of stuff in the fridge and the pantry I came to the unpleasant realization that I didn't have the necessary ingredients for a great Texas style chili. The same was true for a Cincinnati style unless I chose to limit myself to a two or maybe three way. I didn't choose to do that.

What I did choose to do was put together what I call:

Cincy Chili Tampa Style

Recipe By      : JLR
Serving Size  : 4

  16            ounces  angel hair pasta
  1              tablespoon bacon fat, or olive oil if you must
  1              cup  onion -- coarsely chopped
  1              cup  red pepper -- coarsely chopped
  1              pound  ground chuck
  24            ounces  sofrito -- tomato based
  15            ounces  black beans, canned -- drained
  1/2           cup  water
  4              ounces  green chiles -- chopped and drained
  1              tablespoon  chili powder
  1              tablespoon  unsweetened cocoa powder
  1              teaspoon  cumin
  1              teaspoon  dried oregano
  1/2           cup  Monterey jack cheese -- shredded
  2              tablespoons  fresh cilantro -- chopped
  8              ounces  sour cream

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, but save a 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

Meanwhile, in large saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and bring to up temperature. Then add onion and red pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.

Add ground chuck and cook until all pink is gone.

Add remaining ingredients except cheese, cilantro, and sour cream; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.

To serve, plate the pasta and spoon the sauce on top. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro, and then a dollop of sour cream to top off the dish.

Cuisine: "Floribbean"
Start to Finish Time: "0:45"

I store all of my recipes in MasterCook, so that is the format you see here. I didn't include nutritional information since I am not convinced that MasterCook is all that accurate. There are other calorie counter applications that seem to give better results, but I'm not one to vouch for them, either.

What I can vouch for is this recipe is really tasty. The Belle of Ballast Point agreed.

Buen provecho, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Too busy cooking and eating - suddenly it was all gone.

    I'll try to do better next time.

    Thanks for commenting Stogie.

    ReplyDelete